APPLIANCE FIRE

Posted on November 2, 2012

At 2:23pm companies were dispatched to the 1100 block of Korfitsen Road for a possible structure fire. Police units arrived to a smoke condition in a 2 story residential home. Arriving fire units found the source to be a paper shredder which had caught fire when power was restored to the home. The fire was extinguished and the home was ventilated of all smoke.



We take this opportunity again to remind residents that restoration of electricity to your home may cause a surge which can cause plugged in items to catch fire. All items should be unplugged unless properly hooked up to a surge protector.


ANOTHER STORM COMES AND GOES

Posted on November 3, 2012

In the days following hurricane Sandy's arrival in New Milford your fire department has been hard at work. Logging countless man hours since Monday we have to date logged over 40 calls for service this week. As much of the town remains without power we remind all residents of the following tips:



Make sure generators are properly ventilated and kept well away from any flammable surroundings.

Do not place generators indoors or in garages where deadly carbon monoxide buildup may occur.

Make sure all carbon monoxide detectors in your home have fresh batteries and aren't past the manufacturers recommended replacement date.

Restoration of electricity to your home may cause a surge which can cause plugged in items to catch fire. All items should be unplugged unless properly hooked up to a surge protector. 

 

An Important Message From The US Fire Administration Regarding Portable Generator Safety

Posted on November 4, 2012

An important message from the US Fire Administration regarding portable generator safety.




Lending A Helping Hand

Posted on November 7, 2012

Yesterday, November 6th 2012, Members of the New Milford Volunteer Fire Department lent a hand to our brethren from Moonachie. Moonachie was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy last week as a result of flash flooding. Both their Fire Department and First Aid Squad (EMS) sustained significant damage and losses in addition to the general public. During the day a crew of NMFD members went to to assist Moonachie with getting their fire headquarters back in order while talking in a few calls, including a fire in Little Ferry. At night more members delivered donations collected from the people of New Milford to Moonachie and also lent to the Moonachie Fire Department and First Aid & Rescue Squad.