Air conditioner safety

The New Milford Fire Department responded to a report of an air conditioning unit on fire on Stockton Street Thursday, May 26. Investigation by the firefighters revealed that the unit caught fire after a relay shorted out. The homeowner indicated this was the first time this year the unit had been turned on.
With summer soon approaching, the New Milford Fire Department would like to remind homeowners to keep a watchful eye on air conditioning units when using them for the first time this season. The department has responded to a few fires in the past that were caused by air conditioning units. In the event that any problems arise, homeowners should call 9-1-1.